Spay and Neutering Your Cat
As the famous Bob Barker would say while closing out The Price Is Right, make sure to spay and neuter your pets. As an avid animal lover, he wanted to help make sure the pets lived their best lives, while at the same time helping you live your best life. If you have a small pet such as a cat, it is essential for you to spay or neuter them. Here at Oakland Park Animal Hospital our friendly Oakland Park, FL veterinarian staff is here to walk you through the process and go over why it is so important for your cat to have this procedure.
What is Spay and Neutering
Spaying (for females) or neutering (for males) means removing all or part of an animal’s reproductive organs. This can be performed as a routine surgery or laparoscopically at our clinic. In females, this means removing the ovaries as well. Following the surgery, your pet will be sent home with care instructions and medications. This is to keep them calm and comfortable while they are healing. Most pets recover from their surgery between 10 and 14 days.
Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgery
- Reduced risk of cancer – Spaying can prevent breast tumors and uterus infections.
- Prevent the pet from going into heat – when a female goes into heat, they often urinate frequently and indiscriminately on floors and furniture. They will also bleed and will need to wear a diaper. A heat cycle is 4-5 days every three weeks.
- Marking territory – Cats often mark their territory by urinating. This can be very smelling, particularly when it is inside the home. Neutering can help eliminate the problem.
- Eliminate wandering behavior – As cats develop, they can begin wandering off around the neighborhood. When they roam, they can get lost, hurt, or bother others.
- Controlling the pet population – Pets are abandoned at shelters every day. There aren’t enough homes for the 6.5 million animals that are found every year. Spaying or Neutering can help diminish that number.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
If you live in greater Oakland Park, FL and you are either considering the adoption of a cat or you already have a cat, it is important for you to schedule an appointment with our veterinarian staff to have your pet spayed or neutered. We at Oakland Park Animal Hospital care about your animals and their health. Call us today to see how our team can benefit you and your loved one.